How to Achieve a Healthy Work-Life Balance

by Gabby Torres

Illustration by Fallon Maher

Everyone should strive to achieve a healthy work-life balance. A good work-life balance sometimes seems impossible to achieve, however, it is crucial to look out for yourself in this hectic society! It is  easy to assume that we all know how to effectively manage our time so that we may work efficiently while also taking care of ourselves and having fun. It can be difficult to stay organized, and motivated and have the discipline to do everything, therefore it’s best to prioritize oneself as well. Here are some tips and tricks for navigating and balancing your early career journey or new business life.

1. REST IS IMPORTANT

Your schedule is probably full of events if you’re a business owner or a fresh graduate beginning your profession. But if there’s one thing about self-care, it’s that getting enough sleep is essential. A good night’s sleep can help you put things into perspective and improve your mood.

It might be challenging to control your tension when you’re just starting a business or your job, so it’s vital to make an effort to remain composed and centered. Even if decisions are crucial, they may not be as significant as you initially believe in the long term. Think clearly and calmly.

2. CREATE A PERSONALIZED SELF-CARE RITUAL

Developing a morning routine can improve your feeling of work-life balance and lessen your stress levels during the work week. It’s crucial to have peaceful, unhurried mornings. You might even block time on your schedule so you can go for a walk and prepare breakfast.

Even if it doesn’t take much time, try to schedule time each week to relax, pamper yourself, do a face mask, take a bath or read a book.

3. ENGAGE IN ACTIVITIES THAT HELP YOU DESTRESS

Find a stress-relieving habit that fits into your lifestyle, whether it be exercise, meditation, being outside, or all of the above. 

A change of location might be a good way to relieve stress. Get out of the home, go for a walk, hop a change of scenery or get on a bike to shift the story in your head for a short while. After you give yourself that brief pause, you’ll feel so much better because you’ll be able to think more clearly and feel more grounded and at ease.

4. PRACTICE HEALTHY TIME MANAGEMENT

Even if achieving the ideal work-life balance is not always easy, using effective time management techniques might make you feel better in the long term. Try to be deliberate about how long a task should take because, occasionally, completing low-lift activities faster than aiming to accomplish everything perfectly can be more beneficial.

5. COMMUNICATE YOUR BOUNDARIES TO OTHERS

Communicating your boundaries is crucial if you are having trouble balancing your job and personal life. Be honest about the events that are taking place in your day. Transparent communication increases our capacity for empathy and makes it simpler for us to help one another throughout the day.

You can not give everything your whole attention at all times. You should be mindful of your time when working with your team. When it’s past work hours, try to avoid responding to emails unless it is an absolute emergency. 

Recognizing that everyone is a human with a life outside of work is a key part of work-life balance! It’s simple to forget that occasionally, so be kind to other people.

Conclusion

Having a life outside of work can seem unattainable early in your career because starting a 9–5 job is a major responsibility. It could be challenging to establish limits for your working life, shut your laptop at the end of the day, or stop thinking about work-related issues on the weekends. But achieving a healthy work-life balance is more of a process than a final result. You can gradually begin to make small adjustments that add up, such as scheduling a few minutes in the morning for your skincare routine or turning off email notifications after a particular hour each day. Striking a healthy work-life balance may at first seem like an intimidating endeavor, but with time, practice, and experience, it will become more natural. Know that self-care is not selfish, it’s necessary.