Building a Successful Site: Software for SEO Enhancements

Illustration by Rishabh Vemuri

by Rishabh Vemuri

What is Search Engine Optimization?

Search Engine Optimization, commonly referred to as SEO, is the practice by which web creators increase the prevalence of their site by focusing on their site being ranked higher on Google search results following specific queries.

What are the goals of Search Engine Optimization?

All SEO endeavors should fit into at least one of two goals: increasing dwell time and keyword integration.

Dwell Time

Dwell time is the amount of time users spend on any given website. If your website has systems in place that increase dwell time, you are far more likely to retain more users. Although dwell time is a title that may lead some to believe that it requires heavy back-end planning in order to enhance, increasing the dwell time of your site is as simple as posting more photos and videos to your site.

If you were browsing a site, would you take the time to read large blocks of text? Probably not.

Replacing these large blocks of text with multimedia, including photos, videos, and infographics, can encourage users to stay and engage with your website’s content. Although videos may take more time for a user to consume than blocks of text, videos are a more immersive and engaging medium of communication that will increase the dwell time of your site. See our blog post on optimizing graphics here.

Keyword Integration

Not everything on a website can be made into a photo or video, so enhancing the use of copy is vital for SEO. Enhancing website copy comes in the form of keyword integration.

Google’s search engine operates on a keyword basis. So, anticipating keywords that users may enter into their search bar, and integrating those into your site, can increase the likelihood of your website being a top search result.

For example, a small business that sells cookies would increase the number of times the word “cookies” appear on their site. That way when a user searches “cookies,” the website may appear higher on search results due to the high frequency of the keyword “cookies.”

Websites which repeat certain keywords and phrases frequently on its pages, have a higher probability of being prioritized by Google when those keywords are searched. By anticipating what potential clients may search, then integrating those keywords frequently into their respective pages on the website, the firm’s website could be prioritized in Google search.

One of the best options for both keyword anticipation and integration is an FAQ page. Users may be inclined to search full-phrased questions; therefore, if your site could anticipate common or frequently asked questions to put on your site, search engines could favor your site over others.

Visit this blog for more SEO enhancements for your site.

Software to enhance your SEO

You are not alone in embarking on these enhancements, though. Both keyword integration and dwell time improvements can be streamlined through the use of the right types of software.

Adobe Creative Suite

The Adobe Creative Suite, with programs such as Photoshop and Premiere Pro, is a one stop shop for all things multimedia. Photoshop can make photos on your site look far more appealing. Illustrator provides a platform to create infographics with a high level of design integrity. Premiere Pro, software used to create content for everything from social media to Hollywood films, can create engaging videos to increase dwell time.

Embedded Video

It is important that most, if not all, forms of media on the site are embedded. This means that the user does not need to leave the site in order to view the content. Video sites such as Vimeo offer built-in functionality to embed videos uploaded to their service to your own website.

Keyword Tools

In terms of keyword integration, keyword tools are your best friend. Softwares such as Semrush and Ahrefs provide broad search engine information on keywords entered into the tool. This information includes the search volume of the keyword, how many times a keyword is searched, and trends in popularity of the keyword.

Google Search Console

Google’s Search Console tool is a free tool that allows web creators to view analytical breakdowns of their sites. These analytics include site traffic, queries that bring users to the site, its position on Google search, etc. Using this free tool is a great way to view your site’s performance and troubleshoot problems to enhance your SEO.